12.7.09

Paris: Dernier Jour

Sadly, this is my last post about Paris. I wish i would have been able to spend atleast two more weeks in France, exploring but my time abroad had finally reached its end. On our final day in Paris, we decided to make our way to Montemarte. As a side note, the movie Montemarte is featured heavily and the film Amelie, which i have only seen thousands of times and is probably one of my most favorite films ever. I was very excited to see this space, as it is portrayed as being achingly romantic, filled with charm and intrigue. We took the metro to the Abbesses stop , and got off, climbing up seven stories to emerge into Montemarte. Right away i was struck by the number of tourists scurrying along the streets. Not a great first impression i guess, but i still had high hopes as we walked towards Sacre Coeur, the white beacon we had seen in the paris skyline days earlier. We arrived at the foot of the hill, making our way towards the top, finally arriving at the crest with the church looming over, only to be surrounded by hundreds of people. It was as if one was wading through water (except the water was actually bodies) Another little surprise was that the church was closed to the public because of a special church event. We were told we could come back the next day... too bad we were leaving. We split from here, i, officially pissed by the entire letdown that was Montemarte in those moments, went with my brother and my mom to explore more of the area away from most of the tourists while my other brother and my dad ventured on to the opera which my mom and i had seen the day before. Our journey through Montemarte led us to some bookstores, and various other destinations, but the most wonderful ( and pretty much why i still have hope for Montemarte when i return) place we visited was this AMAZING bakery. I got some creme brulees which was by far the most extraordinary i have ever had. My mom got a lemon tart which she was also pleased with. We hate our sweet treats in this little park nearby which had a giant wall of love notes. The mural depicted a woman saying, " Love is the disorder... so enjoy!" and below it are various messages to loved ones.






We spent a good portion of the day wondering in Montemarte so late in the afternoon, we decide to go on a boat tour of Paris. It was a beautiful day and the wind was whipping by as we made our way under bridges and through the city on the Seine.






That evening we stayed out relatively late, soaking in the last little bits of Paris, walking along the river in the twilight. Thinking about it, I really enjoyed my time in Paris.. not having experienced it before, i had heard so many people say, "you will love it." I was skeptical, but the moment i arrived i knew.. it was my city. I felt completely comfortable and at home there and there are very few places that i have ever felt that way about. I cant wait to go back, and i know i will, which made leaving just a little bit easier.

No comments: